Monday 15 November 2010

Partridge in a Bay tree

Now I know, I know. Those are not the words, but I happened across a rather yummy recipe for pear & cranberry chutney and it got me thinking about the 12 days of the festive period that we are nearly upon. We don't have a pear tree but two rather nice bay trees sit outside our front door. (we did try and festoon them with sparkly lights, but that's another story all together).

Anyway here's the recipe, I am going to attempt to make it so I will let you the readers know how I get on.

PEAR & CRANBERRY CHUTNEY

Ingredients:

1 Onion (finely chopped)

325g Dried Cranberries

3cm Root Ginger (grated)

2 Cloves Garlic (finely chopped)

1/2tsp Ground Cinnamon

1/2tsp Ground Coriander

1/2tsp Ground Mixed Spice

150g Caster Sugar

2tsp Dried Chilli

300ml Cider Vinegar

2tbsp Brandy

5tbsp Water

4 Conference Pears (pealed, cored and chopped into small pieces)

Method:

Place the Onion, Dried Cranberries, Root Ginger, Garlic, Cinnamon, Coriander, Mixed Spice, Sugar, Chilli and Cider Vinegar into a large saucepan and put over the heat. Mix all the ingredients and allow them to reach a simmer, keep cooking the fruity mixture until all the liquid is soaked up and the fruit is tender.
Add the pears to the mixture and allow to cook until the pears start to soften. Keep an eye on the texture of the mixture and if it starts to get too dry add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Once the pear has softened, add the remaining water and the Brandy.Once all of the liquid has been absorbed take the chutney off the heat and spoon the chutney mixture into sterilised jars.Store in a cool dark place, eat within 6months. Once opened keep jar in the fridge and eat within 2months.




Well, I hope you enjoy the culinary moment! I'm sure there will be more as we head towards Christmas and I will let you know chutney making goes. As you finish reading, I hope you like the wreath to your right!! Currently on our front door. This ones a nice one as I made it in an oasis base so I think it will last longer than normal! Hurrah....(also don't forget that we can now post bouquets and wreaths, so if your not seeing friends or family this Christmas then why not send them something lovely, ala photo!!)....signing off xx

No comments:

Post a Comment